- Abbey and Jess
- Fruit Smoothie Ingredients: 2 frozen or fresh bananas, broken into chunks 720ml/24 floz/3 cups unsweetened fresh fruit juice (not from concentrate) – any type 100g/4oz berries, fresh or frozen 250ml/9 floz/1 cup soya yoghurt, plain or flavoured (optional) Method: 1.Blend all ingredients together until very smooth and creamy. 2.Serve immediately http://www.vegetarianrecipeclub.org.uk/vegetarian-vegan- recipe/berry-nice-fruit-smoothie
- Pancakes Serves: approximately 8 medium pancakes Time: 20 mins for a batch Diabetic friendly Gluten free No nuts No sesame Reduced fat Reduced sugar Ingredients: 175ml/6fl oz soya milk 175ml/6fl oz water 175g/6oz plain gluten free flour, sieved. 2 tbsp chickpea flour, sieved - also known as gram or besan flour. Dont skip the sieving, its really hard to get the lumps out otherwise! 1 tsp baking powder, sieved 1 tbsp plain vegetable oil Pinch of salt Additional oil for frying - or low-cal spray if using non-stick pan Serving suggestions: Sweet Syrup - as well as golden syrup, try date, maple or agave (try large supermarkets or health food shops for these) Sugar and lemon juice Fresh fruit with syrup as above - eg banana, strawberries, blueberries... Fresh fruit with chocolate sauce - see website for an easy vegan choc sauce recipe! Savoury Stir fried veg with tofu Ratatouille (aubergine, courgette & tomato stew) Fried spinach & mushrooms with garlic and soya sauce Spice dahl with spinach and potatoes
- Method: 1. Place all of the ingredients, except the oil for frying, in a blender and blend until smooth. Alternatively whisk by hand until there are no lumps. 2. Heat a small amount of oil in a frying pan until piping hot. Drain off any excess (or use low-cal spray, as above). 3. Pour enough of the batter mixture in to the frying pan to thinly cover the bottom. Fry on one side for about a minute. Loosen the edges with a spatula and flip. Fry the flip side for another minute or until done. 4. Remove from pan and keep warm in the oven on its lowest setting. 5. Add more oil/spray to the pan if and when necessary. Repeat steps 3 to 6 until all of the mixture is used up. Serve with your chosen accompaniments.
- Chocolate Banana Cake Serves: 8 No nuts No sesame Ingredients: 225g/8oz self-raising flour - use all white OR half each of white SR and fine wholemeal SR 60g/2oz cocoa powder 2 tsp baking powder 3 bananas, medium ripe 150ml/5fl oz soya milk 200g/7oz caster sugar 1/2 tsp vanilla essence 120g/4oz vegetable margarine, melted Filling 175g/6oz vegan margarine, eg Pure, Suma, Biona 120g/4oz icing sugar 1 tbsp cocoa powder Splash of soya milk/orange juice (optional) Method: 1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF//Gas Mark 4. Grease two 18cm/7 inch cake tins. Use the base to trace out and cut two circles of baking parchment or greaseproof paper. Place one round on the bottom of each tin. 2. Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder together. 3. Mix together the bananas, soya milk, sugar and vanilla essence, either in a blender or by hand. 4. Pour the banana mixture and melted margarine in to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Pour half of the cake mixture in to each cake tin. 5. Cook in the centre of the oven for about 30 minutes. Test with a sharp knife or cocktail stick. If it comes out clean, the cake is done - if not, put back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes. 6. While the cake is baking, make the filling by creaming the ingredients together - add the tiniest splash of soya milk or orange juice if the mixture is too stiff. 7. Place the cakes in their tins on a wire rack. When they are completely cool, turn them out and let them air a bit more. 8. Sandwich the two cakes together with two thirds of the filling and spread the rest over the top.
- Fruity Tofu Cheesecake Serves: 6 Time: 40 minutes No nuts No sesame Ingredients: 200g vegan digestive biscuits (or HobNobs, or Jordan’s Luxury Crunch, Quaker Harvest Crunch or similar cereal) 75g vegan margarine (Vitalite, Pure, Suma, Bionaetc) 50ml soya milk 350g silken tofu 200g vegan cream cheese (ie Tofutti Original) from health food stores 1 tbsp vegetable oil 1-2 tbsp golden syrup 1 tsp vanilla essence ½ tsp lemon or orange essence (optional) 2 tsp arrowroot 150g fruit topping (eg fresh or defrosted frozen raspberries or strawberries) Method: 1. Preheat the oven to 350F/180C/Gas Mark 4. 2. Grind the biscuits (which will be used as the base for the cheesecake) until there are no large lumps left. Melt the margarine and mix in the biscuit crumbs. Spread in a greased flat tin and bake in the oven for 5 minutes. 3. Put all of the other ingredients, except the fruit in a liquidizer and blend thoroughly until smooth. Remove the crumb mixture from the oven and pour the filling over the base. 4. Bake in the oven at the same temperature for 20 minutes. Remove and leave to cool. 5. Top with fruit topping and chill before serving.
- Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies 2/3 cup crunchy peanut butter 2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter 4 tablespoons vegetable oil 2 cups light brown sugar 2/3 cup soymilk (regular or vanilla flavored) 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract 1 cup whole wheat flour 1 cup all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon salt 2 cups rolled oats 1 1/3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (ghirridelli) Directions: 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 2In a large mixing bowl, stir together first five ingredients. 3In a small bowl, thoroughly stir together flour, soda and salt. 4Stir into batter. 5Stir in oats and chocolate chips. 6Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls onto Silpat or parchment lined baking sheet. 7Bake for 10 minutes or until set. 8Remove sheet from oven and let cool on tray for 5 minutes.
- Flourless Chocolate Raspberry Cakes Flourless Chocolate-Raspberry Cakes 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips 1/2 cup trans-fat free margarine 1/2 cup Splenda granular 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted 3 large eggs 1/2 cup raspberries Directions: 1Position rack in middle of oven and preheat to 375 degrees F. Line 12-cup muffin pan with paper or foil liners. 2Heat chocolate and margarine in saucepan over low heat until melted. Stir to combine and remove from heat. 3In medium bowl, mix Splenda and cocoa. Add eggs and whisk until combined. Whisk in chocolate mixture. 4Scoop batter into muffin cups, press 3 raspberries halfway into each, and place pan on baking sheet. Bake about 15 minutes, turning front to back halfway through. Cool on rack and serve.
- Good for You Berry Truffles 2 cups walnuts, raw if possible 1 cup dates, less if you add sweeteners 1 cup frozen raspberries or 1 cup frozen blueberries 1/4 cup cocoa powder crushed walnuts or coconut, to roll truffles in Directions: 1Blend all, except crushed walnut or coconut, in a food processor, scraping sides occasionally till the mixture is smooth. 2Shape into small balls and roll in walnut or coconut. 3Store in refrigerator.
- Chocolate Ripple cake Ingredients: Servings: Servings 6 6-8 Servings Update. .Units: US | Metric .250 g chocolate cookies (not chocolate coated though) 500 ml thickened cream, lightly sweetened and stiffly beaten sweet sherry or raspberry jelly (optional) Directions: 1Take a cookie and dunk it quickly in sweet sherry (or smear it with jelly for children) if you wish- this helps speed up the cookies softening. 2spread the smooth side of the cookie thickly with cream and repeat. 3Sandwich the two you have done together and stand them on a plate. 4Repeat this until all the cookies are used and you have formed a"log" of cookies and cream. 5Cover the entire log thickly with more cream and cover loosely with cling wrap before refrigerating for about 8 hours-as I said, the sherry or jelly speeds this up (and I like the added flavour of either) Decorate with grated chocolate, or pipe extra cream around the log before serving.