Hacks, Habits and Helpful Hints: The Admin's Guide to Steering a Successful Salesforce Ship
All materials on our website are shared by users. If you have any questions about copyright issues, please report us to resolve them. We are always happy to assist you.
- HABITS, HACKS, AND HELPFUL HINTS The adminâs guide to steering a successful Salesforce ship
- The adminâs guide to steering a successful Salesforce ship 2 Salesforce can be the backbone to your organization and its infrastructure, but like any great ship, it needs an experienced captain. This means you, mighty Salesforce Admin, have more potential impact than ever. You not only steer this massive ship, but you keep it afloat, take it to new places, and bring your organization and its employees along for the journey. Yes, perils abound: Adoption woes. The sea of budget blues. A mountain of information to absorb. Pirate attacks. Have no fear, weâre here to help you overcome these issues so you can stake your claim as office captain. Steer your Salesforce ship toward CRM Adoption Island, the Education Passage, and the Big Mountain of Company Growth.
- The adminâs guide to steering a successful Salesforce ship 3 This guide is organized for our fearless captains. Captainâs Daily Habits Captainâs Weekly Habits Captainâs Monthly Habits Captainâs Quarterly Habits Captainâs Yearly Habits
- The adminâs guide to steering a successful Salesforce ship 4 CAPTAINâS DAILY HABITS Talk to your shipmates Write these tips down in your captainâs journal and use them every single day. Theyâre all about engaging and interacting with your users, to help them improve their day-to-day Salesforce adventures.
- The adminâs guide to steering a successful Salesforce ship 5 Watch, learn, teach The best way to learn how Salesforce is being used in your office is pretty straightforward: Lean in and say, âAhoy Matey!â Ask them how itâs going. Give them tips. See if they have questions for you. Oftentimes, your users have questions; however, they donât take time to ask. Take your expertise to them. DAILY HABITS
- Be a social leader The adminâs guide to steering a successful Salesforce ship 6 Someone needs to be at the Salesforce helm, so you wonât always be able to walk the deck. Instead, set up a Chatter group for Salesforce users, and make yourself a virtual resource. But youâre not the only resource: Every user in your office has Salesforce knowledge and tips to share. If you get your users in the habit of using Chatter as a socially-driven resource, theyâll start helping each other. Itâs like creating a bunch of little captains to help solve problems, which will give you more time to focus on your Salesforce vessel. Use Quick Actions to allow users to submit feedback and log cases. Hack DAILY HABITS
- The adminâs guide to steering a successful Salesforce ship 7 CAPTAINâS WEEKLY HABITS Thereâs a lot to be learned, so explore! Focus on upping your own Salesforce knowledge on a weekly basis (which spreads to your users). Thereâs much to learn out in these wide open waters, so grab that spyglass telescope and be a knowledge seeker.
- Download the AppExchange Dashboard pack. Hack Download the AppExchange Dashboard pack. Hack The adminâs guide to steering a successful Salesforce ship 8 WEEKLY HABITS Land ho! Get inspired by embarking on the AppExchange The AppExchange is adding apps every single day for every industry and department, all built to address common challenges and opportunities. Visit the AppExchange regularly to learn and get better at your job. When you study solutions, you start to develop an eye for spotting issues in your own org. Itâs inspiring! Next thing you know, youâll start recognizing areas where your Salesforce shipâs prow and port can improve. https://appexchange.salesforce.com/listingDetail?listingId=a0N300000016ZsfEAE https://appexchange.salesforce.com/listingDetail?listingId=a0N300000016ZsfEAE http://www.appexchange.com/ http://www.appexchange.com/ http://www.appexchange.com/
- The adminâs guide to steering a successful Salesforce ship 9 WEEKLY HABITS Belay there! Explore the Salesforce Community The social-savvy crew of Salesforce experts and evangelists have created a wealth of resources that you absolutely cannot lose at sea. You owe it to yourself and your users to keep these tools on board. Here are some ways to stay up-to-the-minute on all the latest apps and AppExchange news: https://www.facebook.com/APPEXCHANGE?fref=ts https://twitter.com/appexchange https://www.instagram.com/appexchange/ https://www.linkedin.com/company/appexchange https://www.salesforce.com/blog/category/appexchange.html http://www.appexchange.com/
- The adminâs guide to steering a successful Salesforce ship 10 Hot Product Tip Excel-erate productivity and Salesforce adoption with Apttus X-Author for Excel Many of your users have been using Excel and Salesforce for years. With Apttus X-Author, they can continue using Excel while increasing Salesforce user adoption. X-Author transforms the familiar Microsoft Excel into a fast and secure interface for Salesforce. Even better, itâs easy to install. No extra clouds, third-party software, or local logic needed. With X-Author for Excel, you can: âOnce we saw what Apttus X-Author Excel was capable of, we knew it was a perfect fit for us, and now we use Excel as a calculation engine for Salesforce.â CHAD PRATT Senior Business Analyst IT Sales Motorola Mobility Boost productivity 10x â 100x and delight Salesforce users by enabling them to safely work using Excel while in Salesforce. Move data between Salesforce orgs up to 80% faster. Deliver all of the Excel capabilities that users want while maintaining Salesforce data, permissions, reporting, routing, and controls. https://appexchange.salesforce.com/listingDetail?listingId=a0N3000000B5P76EAF&cid=ampwin15apt https://appexchange.salesforce.com/listingDetail?listingId=a0N3000000B5P76EAF&cid=ampwin15apt https://appexchange.salesforce.com/listingDetail?listingId=a0N3000000B5P76EAF&cid=ampwin15apt https://appexchange.salesforce.com/listingDetail?listingId=a0N3000000B5P76EAF&cid=ampwin15apt https://appexchange.salesforce.com/listingDetail?listingId=a0N3000000B5P76EAF&cid=ampwin15apt
- The adminâs guide to steering a successful Salesforce ship 11 CAPTAINâS MONTHLY HABITS Communicate big ideas with those around you All of your new daily and weekly habits come into play in a big way on a monthly basis. Without all the knowledge gained day-to-day from brain exercises, you might as well call yourself a landlubber.
- The adminâs guide to steering a successful Salesforce ship 12 MONTHLY HABITS Connect with your mates About once a month, itâs time for a gut check with your mates, or internal stakeholders. In other words, talk to the team managers using Salesforce. Take time to sit down and ask how itâs going in their department. Come prepared with ideas on how to improve their processes. (If youâve been visiting the AppExchange and other resources, you should have plenty.) http://www.appexchange.com/
- The adminâs guide to steering a successful Salesforce ship 13 All hands hoay! âAll hands hoayâ means making time for all of your stakeholders to come together once a month for governance. This is when you all set the forward path, as a Salesforce ship crew. One of the beauties of Salesforce is how well it works across departments, so it makes sense that stakeholders and leadership have the opportunity to discuss Salesforce-related initiatives together. MONTHLY HABITS
- The adminâs guide to steering a successful Salesforce ship 14 Me hearties! Share with the Salesforce Admin Community From stories of new apps to stories of life at sea, the information in the Salesforce Admin community is there to share the latest app tales. Give the world your tips and tricks in an admin group. Does one of your users make you say âYo ho ho!â as a result of your help? Share the success story not only in your internal Chatter group, but with other admins out there. RELATED TIP: Donât be afraid of uncharted waters To get even more involved and learn new things, travel to a Salesforce Admin group at least three or four times a year, and present something to the group. Public speaking is nerve-racking for a lot of us, but itâs a great skill for your arsenal. User group meetings let you compare your orgâs progress to other orgs, so you can see how it stacks up. MONTHLY HABITS https://success.salesforce.com/search?keywords=admin https://success.salesforce.com/search?type=Groups&keywords=admin
- The adminâs guide to steering a successful Salesforce ship 15 CAPTAINâS QUARTERLY HABITS Focus your efforts Our quarterly habits are all about running a tight ship. We get it. Itâs really easy to get caught up in the day-to-day, but itâs incredibly important to block off some time to tidy up and do some prepping for the future.
- The adminâs guide to steering a successful Salesforce ship 16 QUARTERLY HABITS New releases â whether seasonal updates from Salesforce or an app implementation from you â can be ugly as a scallywag if youâre not prepared. It can require a lot of reading, but you need to study those Salesforce release notes and communicate the most relevant changes to the users who are depending on you. That goes for your internal changes as well. Always test internal changes in your sandbox and then demo them to your users. You can do demos live or via a video posted in your Chatter user group. New releases P L A N FO R http://www.salesforce.com/customer-resources/releases/winter16/
- The adminâs guide to steering a successful Salesforce ship 17 Hot product tip Tame Your Release Notes Eat and Delete 1. Print out new Salesforce release notes. 2. Mark new features that are automatically turned ON, so you know you need to take action. 3. Mark stuff that can be turned ON in another color. Evaluate with stakeholders and your team if you think it will support your users. Schedule time to meet with groups of your users, give them lunch, and go through report folders to see what is and isnât being used. If itâs not being used, throw it overboard (a.k.a. archive it).
- Beyond your crew, mates, and stakeholders, go up the ladder and meet with your companyâs high-level decision makers, such as C-level executives. Get key insights on the companyâs overall direction, such as planned increases in headcount, changes in product offerings, or new pirate hats. Also ask if thereâs anything you can do to help or share your Salesforce-related, big-picture ideas. The adminâs guide to steering a successful Salesforce ship 18 QUARTERLY HABITS Shipowners M E E T W I T H
- The adminâs guide to steering a successful Salesforce ship 19 CAPTAINâS YEARLY HABITS Despite doing your best to keep users up to speed, some things can slip through the cracks. Interestingly enough, one of the things that slip is knowledge of the basics. It may have been several years since some users were trained on how to use Salesforce. We all forget stuff, so retrain them. Youâll be surprised how many âAye!â and âArr!â and âOh wow! I didnât know I could do that!â moments theyâll have. Run Salesforce refresher training for crewmembers
- The adminâs guide to steering a successful Salesforce ship 20 YEARLY HABITS Review and update your Salesforce Help Text. The Hover and Discover feature can be really helpful to users, so you should make sure what theyâre discovering is current and relevant. Create an app to track how long each user has been trained. If youâre a new admin, itâs a great way to get you into building your own apps. https://www.buttonclickadmin.com/importance-salesforce-help-text/ http://www.salesforce.com/platform/overview/
- The adminâs guide to steering a successful Salesforce ship 21 YEARLY HABITS Head to Dreamforce Dreamforce offers amazing experiences, and the return on investment has been proven time and time again. Make it a goal to present at Dreamforce. Every presenter was once a young lad (or lass). http://www.dreamforce.com/ http://www.dreamforce.com/
- The adminâs guide to steering a successful Salesforce ship 22 Salesforce certifications arenât just about showing what you know or going for a raise. Itâs also about how your users, stakeholders, managers, and other crew members feel about you. And itâs about how YOU feel about you. It instills confidence in your ability to get the job done. Certifications say that youâre passionate about your job, youâve got what it takes, and that there is smooth sailing ahead. Bottom line: certifications are undisputed proof that you rock, and give you the right to dress like a pirate to work. Visit appexchange.com to stay up-to-date on all of the latest apps. VISIT US Get certified! https://appexchange.salesforce.com/category/it-admin https://appexchange.salesforce.com/category/it-admin