All materials on our website are shared by users. If you have any questions about copyright issues, please report us to resolve them. We are always happy to assist you.
- 1. SPORTS MANIA
- In the 1920’s the first Negro leagues were stared in america founded by Rube Foster.
- In the 1920’s baseball became known as the American sport because it became so popular.
- Babe Ruth was the most famous baseball player in the 1920. He was a little chunky guy who would hit homeruns out of the park like nothing ever seen before. 1927 he hit a record setting 60 homeruns which was a record that stood for 30 years.
- Satchel Paige, James Bell, and Josh Gibson were some of the many famous black players in the Negro league.
- Jackie Robinson was the first black player to play in the MLB in america. This brought lots of controversies between white and dark skin people.
- Baseball today is played all overthe world.
- On September 17, 1920 the first American organized football league was established. Teams were only charged $100 to join the league.
- The first ever trade was made in December of 1920 between Akron and Buffalo.(Tackle Bob Nash)
- In 1921 the first use of football standings were put to use. The Green Bay Packers team was established.
- The NFL,( National Football League) was established which consisted of 18 teams.
- In 1925 one of the best football players, Harold (red) Grange joined the Chicago Bears. This brought lots of national attention because he was a player you had to see to believe.
- By the end of the 1930’s the NFL was in full stride nation wide, Grange was still one of the best in the sport.
- Boxing was banned from America in the early 1900’s.
- In 1920 New York passed the Walker Law, this law permitted boxing fights to be legal in New York.
- As others states witness what was happening in New York so they also legalized boxing. Boxing in America at this point was in full stride.
- The first million-dollar fight was fought between Jack Dempsey of the U.S. and Georges Carpenter of France.
- The first 2 ½ million-dollar fight was a rematch between Jack Dempsey and Gene Tunney. Tunneywon both of the fights.
- This fight was viewed by 100,000 persons. To the boxing world in America this was a positive and great outcome.
- Tennis became an American sport just like all the other sports in the 1920’s.
- William “Big Bill” Tilden was the best tennis player in the 1920’s.
- In tournaments he was astonishing to watch. He was the first American to win the Wimbledon tennis title.
- He was arrested and shunned for his homosexuality. He died penniless and alone.
- Helen Wills won every single match “she” played from 1927 to the end of the decade.
- She was the number one female tennis player in America in the 1920’s.
- Golf was not one of the most popular sports during the 1920’s because all the other sports were in full stride.
- There were three guys who help revolutionize the sport of golf in America; Boobby Jones, Walter Hagen, and Gene Sarozen.(all Americans)
- Bobby Jones was playing the best golf of his life wining tournament after tournament.
- Walter Hagenis well recognized for his style of dressing. He won 2 U.S. opens, 4 British opens, and 5 PGA tittles including 4 in a row. (1924-1927)
- Gene Sarazone was consider on of the best golfers of the 1920’s and 1930’s. He is the first golfer to win 2 major tittles in the same year. In total he captured 10 major tittles.
- Americans began to fall in love with a sport that was differentfrom all the others.
- http://www. footballresearch .com/index. cfm
- www. perfectcircles .org/ mrwenstrand / ushistory /doc/unit3/sports.html
- http://www.sports-trivia.net/ redgrange .html .
- http://www. profootballhof .com/
- http://www. mdboxing .org/history. htm