oversaturation or misallocation?
All materials on our website are shared by users. If you have any questions about copyright issues, please report us to resolve them. We are always happy to assist you.
- 1. Oversaturation Misallocation @220gs Misallocate – to assign mistakenly or improperly A very common solution that’s brought up in “oversaturation” conversations is to reduce the number of calendar events. Scaling back on the yearly schedule is a wonderful long term concept and one we’ll discuss further in articles to come. The UFC can’t trim their schedule cold turkey; they have contractual obligations to fulfill. What they could benefit from is a short term tapering system; one that will serve as a bridge closing the gap from this era to the next. Match making and card construction is complex; you might as well be coding computer programs. If that isn’t tough enough you have to take into account the impact of injuries on events. Come show time, the final product underwent countless changes behind the scenes it’s virtually an entirely different card! With that being said, it’s not unreasonable to assume that bouts only weeks apart could be orchestrated in a more effective and potent sequence. There are lots of great fights coming up; Faber/Edgar, Rumble/DC, Weidman/Belfort, etc. There are also many fights that’ll leave you scratching your head wondering, “Who are these guys?” When looking at a typical UFC monthly calendar; the first word that pops into my head is misallocation rather than “oversaturation”. Below are three protocols that comprise said short term taper: Fight Pass Cards are to take place at TUF GYM; ranked matchups are prohibited Ranked matchups are reserved strictly for Main Card slots Unranked matchups are to be booked in Prelim Card slots I know rankings are a tricky subject; we can all agree that everyone ranked in the top 15 should most certainly be there. In all honesty, debates boil down to placement and placement only. In the pages to come, you’ll be provided with full fight cards,complete with personalized statistics, and the UFC’s official rankings as of 5/7/15. These stats give insight to card depth. For the convenience of comparison, each mock card is located directly underneath the UFC’s official event. As you take in this information please keep the following questions in mind: - Would said mock cards provide an excellent showcase for the organization & its athletes? - Would fans be treated to compelling fights on a consistent basis? - Would the quality of televised fights improve? - Would the proposed solution lead to better business:TV ratings/PPV buy rates? For further discussion onformulas, rationale, fighterplacement,etc. feel free toreach out via [email protected] Enjoy! - GS
- 2. FIGHT PASS @ TUF GYM – 5/10/15 All unranked LHW: Anthony Perosh vs. Sean O’Connell LW: Jake Matthews vs. James Vick FW: Hatsu Hioki vs. Dan Hooker WW: Kyle Noke vs. Jonavin Webb MW: Dan Kelly vs. Sam Alvey SW: Bec Rawlings vs. Lisa Ellis MW: Dylan Andrews vs. Brad Scott SW: Alex Chambers vs. Kailin Curran WW: Vik Grujic vs. Brendan O’Reilly FLY: Alptekin Özkılıç vs. Ben Nguyen 5/10/15 – Fight Pass: 12 Bouts (24 fighters) Weight Class # of ranked opponents = 3 3/24= .125% Card Strength = 13% HW Stipe Miocic - 4 vs. Mark Hunt - 5 MW Brad Tavares - 14 vs. Robert Whittaker LHW Anthony Perosh vs. Sean O'Connell LW Jake Matthews vs. James Vick Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass) FW Hatsu Hioki vs. Dan Hooker WW Kyle Noke vs. Jonavin Webb MW Dan Kelly vs. Sam Alvey SW Bec Rawlings vs. Lisa Ellis MW Dylan Andrews vs. Brad Scott SW Alex Chambers vs. Kailin Curran WW Vik Grujic vs. Brendan O'Reilly FLY Alptekin Özkılıç vs. Ben Nguyen
- 3. 5/16/15 – Fox Sports 1: 12 Bouts (24 fighters) Weight Class # of ranked opponents = 5 5/24=.208 Card Strength = 21% FW Frankie Edgar - 2 vs. Urijah Faber – 3 (BW) MW Gegard Mousasi- 7 vs. Costas Philippou - 12 MW Mark Muñoz vs. Luke Barnatt WW Hyun Gyu Lim vs. Neil Magny - 15 FW Phillipe Nover vs. Yui Chul Nam FW Mark Eddiva vs. Levan Makashvili Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1) LW Tae Hyun Bang vs. Jon Tuck LW Zhang Lipeng vs. Kajan Johnson WW Li Jingliang vs. Dhiego Lima BW Ning Guangyou vs. Royston Wee Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass) FLY Roldan Sangcha-An vs. Jon Delos Reyes FLY Nolan Ticman vs. Yao Zhikui FS1 – 5/16/15 Main Card LW: Donald Cerrone #3 vs. John Makdessi (UR) MW: Gegard Mousasi #7 vs. Costas Philippou #12 SW: Rose Namajunas #4 vs. Nina Ansaroff (UR) WW: Dong Hyun Kim #8 vs. Josh Burkman (UR) MW: Brad Tavares #14 vs. Robert Whittaker (UR) WW: Hyun Gyu Lim (UR) vs. Neil Magny #15 Prelims (all unranked) LW: Tae Hyun Bang vs. Jon Tuck LW: Zhang Lipeng vs. Kajan Johnson WW: Li Jingliang vs. Dhiego Lima BW: Ning Guangyou vs. Royston Wee FLY: Roldan Sangcha-An vs. Jon Delos Reyes FLY: Nolan Ticman vs. Yao Zhikui
- 4. 5/23/15 – PPV: 12 Bouts (24 fighters) Weight class # of ranked opponents = 13 13/24=.541 Card Strength = 54% LHW Anthony Johnson – 1 vs. Daniel Cormier - 3 MW Chris Weidman (c) vs. Vitor Belfort – 3 LW Donald Cerrone – 3 vs. John Makdessi HW Travis Browne - 3 vs. Andrei Arlovski - 7 FLY Joseph Benavidez - 2 vs. John Moraga - 4 Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1) FLY John Dodson - 1 vs. Zach Makovsky - 8 WW Dong Hyun Kim - 8 vs. Josh Burkman MW Uriah Hall vs. Rafael Natal SW Rose Namajunas - 4 vs. Nina Ansaroff Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass) WW Mike Pyle vs. Colby Covington LW Islam Makhachev vs. Leo Kuntz FLY Justin Scoggins vs. Josh Sampo PPV – 5/23/15 Main Card MW: Chris Weidman (C) vs. Vitor Belfort #3 V-LHW: Anthony Johnson #1 vs. Daniel Cormier #3 FW: Frankie Edgar #2 vs. Urijah Faber #3 (BW) HW: Stipe Miocic #4 vs. Mark Hunt #5 FLY: Joseph Benavidez #2 vs. John Moraga #4 Prelims (all unranked) MW: Mark Munoz vs. Luke Barnatt MW: Uriah Hall vs. Rafael Natal WW: Mike Pyle vs. Colby Covington LW: Islam Makhachev vs. Leo Kuntz FLY: Justin Scoggins vs. Josh Sampo FW: Phillipe Nover vs. Yui Chul Nam FW: Mark Eddiva vs. Levan Saakashvili
- 5. FS1 – 5/30/15 Main Card HW – Travis Browne #3 vs. Andrei Arlovski #7 FW – John Dodson #1 vs. Zach Makovsky #8 WW – Thiago Alves #12 vs. Carlos Condit #4 FW –Nik Lentz #8 vs. Charles Olivera #9 FLY – Jussier Formiga #5 vs. Wilson Reis #13 Prelims (unranked) LW – Norman Parke vs. Francisco Trinaldo LHW – Francimar Barroso vs. Ryan Jimmo LW – Yan Cabral vs. KJ Noons WW – Wendell Olivera vs. TJ Waldburger WW – Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos vs. Nicolas Dalby WW – Luiz Dutra vs. Tom Breese FW – Lucas Martins vs. Mirsad Bektic 5/30/15 – Fox Sports 1: 10 Bouts (20 fighters) Weight class # of ranked opponents = 6 6/20=.3 Card Strength = 30% WW Carlos Condit – 4 vs. Thiago Alves – 12 FW Nik Lentz – 8 vs. Charles Oliveira – 9 LW Norman Parke vs. Francisco Trinaldo LHW Francimar Barroso vs. Ryan Jimmo LW Yan Cabral vs. KJ Noons WW Wendell Oliveira vs. TJ Waldburger WW Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos vs. Nicolas Dalby FLY Jussier Formiga - 5 vs. Wilson Reis - 13 WW Luiz Dutra vs. Tom Breese FW Lucas Martins vs. Mirsad Bektic