How to give feedback
2. Giving feedback
- 1. How to give feedback www.english4hr.com
3. Why feedback is important
- How to give it – using DESC
- People need feedback in order to improve or change
- People may be unaware of their behaviour or its impact
- Things left unsaid may turn into bigger problems
4. Who needs feedback?
- Feedback can be encouraging and rewarding
- Trainers, coaches and teachers
- Partners and family members
5. When to give it
- Don’t risk closing the dialogue, even if it’s uncomfortable sometimes
- Give feedback in a timely manner
- That means while the issue is still fresh in everyone’s minds
- Don’t wait for an appraisal or scheduled meeting
6. How to give feedback – using DESC – it really works!
- But, beware of giving immediate feedback if you feel emotional
- Describe the situation – this is what happened
- Explain the consequences – as a result ….
- State what you want to happen – next time, I’d like you to ….
7. Thank you
- Contract – have we got a deal?
- This presentation is brought to you by George Sandford
A brief introduction to giving feedback