Earthquake structural protection: The benefits of resilient building design
All materials on our website are shared by users. If you have any questions about copyright issues, please report us to resolve them. We are always happy to assist you.
- The benefits of resilient building design Earthquake structural protection
- The construction of resilient building designs in New Zealand has gained momentum since the 2011 Canterbury earthquake sequence. In Christchurch alone, there has been in excess 26 new resilient building designs constructed. Christchurch Cathedral AURECON ON RESILIENT BUILDING DESIGN
- So what are the benefits of a resilient building design? 151 Cambridge Terrace, Christchurch. Base isolated using Earthquake Protection Systems (EPS) triple friction pendulum bearing. First use of EPS triple pendulum bearings in New Zealand.
- 1 Itâs facility can function post disaster Often referred to as Low Damage Design, resilient building design enables buildings to respond to significant events without causing irreparable damage to the primary structural elements whilst maintaining a focus on life safety and avoiding dangerous building collapse. Tait Communications, Christchurch. Features a controlled rocking structure using ringfeder hold-down springs. AURECON ON RESILIENT BUILDING DESIGN http://www.aurecongroup.com/en/thinking/current-articles/outsmarting-tremors-with-earthquake-resilient-building-design.aspx
- 2 It limits structural damage The fundamental principal behind the structural design of resilient buildings is ensuring seismic energy is dissipated and strain is concentrated into ductile replaceable parts. This is to protect the primary structure from damage. The Terrace Development, Christchurch. Two way sliding hinge beam column joint. AURECON ON RESILIENT BUILDING DESIGN http://www.aurecongroup.com/en/projects/by-expertise/building-design.aspx
- 3 It ensures life safety Life safety is implicit in any building design. However base isolation will enhance occupant safety during a major earthquake and protect the building contents. Grand Central Redevelopment, Christchurch. Aurecon Technical Director Sean Gledhill oversees the placement of the Triple Pendulum Isolation Bearings. AURECON ON RESILIENT BUILDING DESIGN http://www.aurecongroup.com/en/expertise/design/building-design.aspx http://www.aurecongroup.com/en/thinking/themes/natural-disasters/seismic-resilience-in-the-developing-world.aspx
- 4 It can allow business continuity A resilient building may allow you early occupation after an earthquake and business continuity. Gaining access can otherwise be a timely process and costly to your business. Lucas House, Nelson. Features post tensioned rocking precast concrete walls with compression and tension buckling restrained energy dissipaters. AURECON ON RESILIENT BUILDING DESIGN http://www.aurecongroup.com/en/markets/built-environment/commercial-office-buildings.aspx
- 5 It can cope with repeated aftershocks Whilst normal buildings will be fatigued after an earthquake sequence, resilient buildings can continue to absorb multiple earthquakes and be readily reinstated to pre-earthquake conditions. Te Puni Village, Wellington. Features a world first application of controlled rocking concentric braced frames with ringfeder springs in combination with sliding hinge joints. AURECON ON RESILIENT BUILDING DESIGN http://www.aurecongroup.com/en/projects/property/te-puni-village-victoria-uni.aspx
- It can increase staff confidence 6 Staff confidence is boosted with the knowledge that the building has specific features which are beyond the minimum criteria specified in seismic design codes. NMIT, Nelson. Features post tensioned rocking timber shear walls with U-shaped flexural plates. AURECON ON RESILIENT BUILDING DESIGN http://www.aurecongroup.com/en/projects/property/nelson-marlborough-institute-technology.aspx
- 7 Itâs suitable for infrastructure and multi-level buildings Any structural form is capable of resilient detailing so architectural and building functionality drivers are not compromised. Resilient buildings have the same primary structure as any conventionally designed building, i.e. shear walls, frames or braced frames. Elevate Apartments, Wellington. Features low damage rocking braced frames in combination with ringfeder hold-down springs. AURECON ON RESILIENT BUILDING DESIGN http://www.aurecongroup.com/en/about/latest-news/2013/may/tallest-all-steel-earthquake-resilient-building-for-wellington.aspx
- 8 Damage is localised to replaceable structural elements and therefore reduces the necessity to demolish a building; itâs recognised as a lower seismic risk and therefore can help to lower insurance premiums. Itâs a lower insurance risk Knox Church, Christchurch. Features post tensioned rocking buttresses. AURECON ON RESILIENT BUILDING DESIGN http://www.aurecongroup.com/en/projects/property/knox-church.aspx
- 9 The reduction in insurance premiums offsets the additional capital costs. Resilient building design adds one to three per cent of the total construction value of a traditional ductile building; and base isolation, which is the premium method, adds five to seven per cent of the total cost. Itâs cost effective 53 Victoria Street, Christchurch. Features double concave friction slider bearings at ground level. AURECON ON RESILIENT BUILDING DESIGN http://www.aurecongroup.com/en/projects/property/53-victoria-st-nz.aspx
- Contact: Stephen Hogg Technical Director â Buildings DDI +64 3 371 2042 M +64 27 240 8212 E Stephen.Hogg@aurecongroup.com Sean Gledhill Technical Director â Buildings DDI +64 3 371 1998 M +64 21 244 1800 E Sean.Gledhill@aurecongroup.com Read more on our website! mailto:Stephen.Hogg@aurecongroup.com?subject=Seismic%20engineering mailto:Sean.Gledhill@aurecongroup.com?subject=Seismic%20engineering http://www.aurecongroup.com/en/thinking/current-articles/outsmarting-tremors-with-earthquake-resilient-building-design.aspx Slide Number 1 Slide Number 2 Slide Number 3 Slide Number 4 Slide Number 5 Slide Number 6 Slide Number 7 Slide Number 8 Slide Number 9 Slide Number 10 Slide Number 11 Slide Number 12 Slide Number 13