7 Common Types of Retail Customers (and How to Sell to Them)
All materials on our website are shared by users. If you have any questions about copyright issues, please report us to resolve them. We are always happy to assist you.
- You will encounter a wide array of characters in a retail store. Each one requires a unique approach.
- Does a ton of research before making purchase decisions. Key to Connecting: Engage while theyâre in research mode. Increase your storeâs visibility on online and mobile channels. In-store: Acknowledge their expertise and listen. Then, ask questions to see if you can offer up info that they havenât uncovered in their research. 1. THE WELL-INFORMED SHOPPER 7 Common Types of Retail Customers (and How to Sell to Them) 2
- Checks out products in person, then looks for a better deal online. Key to Connecting: In-store offers Loyalty programs Special benefits Position your merchandise and store as distinct and aspirational. 2. THE SHOWROOMER 7 Common Types of Retail Customers (and How to Sell to Them) 3
- The âjust looking aroundâ customer. Key to Connecting: Acknowledge them, then leave them alone. Invading their space will drive them away. Make them feel welcome, casually mention items on sale, then leave them to it. 3. THE WANDERER 7 Common Types of Retail Customers (and How to Sell to Them) 4
- They already know what they want and wonât waste time getting it. Key to Connecting: Simply stay out of their way. If they ask questions, give them straight-forward answers. If theyâre getting held up by a long line, you can delight them by opening up a new till, or by charging them through a hand-held POS system. 4. THE CUSTOMER ON A MISSION 7 Common Types of Retail Customers (and How to Sell to Them) 5
- Often caused by too much or too little information. Key to Connecting: Figure out their specific needs and tell them what they need to know. The goal is to educate, not sell. If you are honest about what your products can and canât do, the customer will trust you next time. 5. THE CONFUSED OR INDECISIVE SHOPPER 7 Common Types of Retail Customers (and How to Sell to Them) 6
- The main factor in their decision is price. Key to Connecting: Make them feel like theyâre getting a good deal. Point out value over price, and why buying from you will save them money in the long run. If they wonât budge and only want the cheapest, grab their contact details to notify them next time you have a sale or promotion. 6. THE BARGAIN-HUNTER 7 Common Types of Retail Customers (and How to Sell to Them) 7
- You love their enthusiasm, but sometimes they keep you from doing your job. Key to Connecting: Nicole Reyhleâs script for politely getting away from a talkative customer: Look them in the eye, smile, and say, âI would so love to talk to you more about this â but I see someone else who needs my help too. I will check back in with you, ok? Thanks for being here.â 7. THE CHATTY CUSTOMER 7 Common Types of Retail Customers (and How to Sell to Them) 8
- YOUR TURN Have you encountered a shopper type thatâs not mentioned in this presentation? Weâd love to know! Share how you approach them in the comments below.