A "How to be happy" Experiment
All materials on our website are shared by users. If you have any questions about copyright issues, please report us to resolve them. We are always happy to assist you.
- A âHow to be happyâ Experiment By Mikael Cho
- Why? What is it about the weekends that makes us feel better? Even though I enjoy what I do for work, I don't feel the same pressure on the weekend as I do during the week.
- The Experiment To find out what it was about weekends that made me feel good, I designed a 10-day experiment where each day I recorded: â¢ What I ate/drank â¢ My sleep â¢ A summary of how I felt during that day â¢ A (1-10) rating for the day (10 being an ideal day) I wanted to see if I could better understand how every variable affected my mood. If I found my sources of stress and happiness, then I could identify stressors to remove and happiness factors to add to feel better about each day.
- Day 1 Sleep time: 9h 40m Asleep: 1:15am Awake: 10:55am Food: Oatmeal Latte Chick peas Corn with parmesan cheese Pizza Salad Carrots Almonds Summary: Didn't get much done from my list. Had an argument. Interrupted while writing. Felt stressed during day. Didn't workout. Rating: 4/10
- Day 2 Sleep time: 6h 48m Asleep: 1:09am Awake: 7:58am Food: Oatmeal Subway brown bread, turkey 12" Almonds & pistachios Subway brown bread, turkey 6" Latte Crazy Asian fusion food Summary: Got up early without hitting snooze. Did some good work in the AM. Did the one most important thing. Had laughs with friends. Wish I could have done more work but had to do some lighting installations at the condo which made me happy because they look nice. Rating: 7/10
- Day 3 Sleep time: 6h 31m Asleep: 1:37am Awake: 8:08am Food: Almonds and blackberries 12" turkey sandwich on wholewheat bread Reuben sandwich on white bread Chicken salad Summary: Took me a while to fall asleep. Got up without hitting snooze. Did a short workout but it didn't make me feel a ton better. Didn't accomplish enough in the AM so felt behind. Moved things for the office and didn't get any work done. Got to share some laughs with the team. Felt really tired after Reuben sandwich. Rating: 5/10
- Day 4 (Saturday) Sleep time: 8h 20m Asleep: 12:27am Awake: 8:47am Food: Eggs with veggies Chicken cutlets with cheese Chicken salad Popcorn Pasta and meatballs Summary: Slept another hour after my alarm went off. Felt good. Did some work early in the AM. Felt good. Went to Stephâs auntâs house and then felt like I was falling behind a bit. Went to soccer and felt sluggish (likely from the chicken cutlets). Felt great to get on the field again though. Saw a doubleheader movie. Then had pasta before bed which seems to have upset my stomach. Rating: 7/10
- Day 5 (Sunday) Sleep time: 6h 42m Asleep: 3:28am Awake: 10:10am Food: Eggs with veggies and turkey Almonds Salad, broccoli breaded chicken Celery, peanut butter, cranberries Dark chocolate covered raisins Summary: Low stress day. Felt good because not a lot of company demands so was able to catch up on some work. Had the chance to do some good writing. Stephâs uncle came over and had a fun convo with him. Didn't feel overwhelmed all day which felt good. Rating: 8/10
- Day 6 Sleep time: 8h 59m Asleep: 11:38pm Awake: 8:38am Food: Oatmeal Turkey sandwich whole wheat Latte Black coffee Squash Filet Mignon Green beans and cabbage Summary: Felt energized today. Got a lot of sleep. Love my new office space. Got a lot done on my to-do list but was only able to do it by staying up late. Business numbers looked good. Had a good conversation with a friend over coffee. Rating: 8/10
- Day 7 Sleep time: 6h 4m Asleep: 2:24am Awake: 8:28am Food: Oatmeal Chick peas and celery Sushi Tea Protein bar Banana 6-inch turkey Subway Summary: Started work later in the AM than I wanted and felt tired. Unexpected things came up in the morning. Probably did only about 1 hr creative work but I would have liked to do closer to 4 hrs. Had to do too many thing at night so felt tired. Also not having food available and not working out didn't make me feel good. Rating: 5/10
- Day 8 Sleep time: 7h 51m Asleep: 12:17am Awake: 8:08am Food: Oatmeal Chicken salad Tea Black coffee Banana Peanut Butter and Apple Stuffed pork chops Rice and beans Green beans Summary: Woke up with a bit of a stomach ache. I think it was the late night pasta. Felt tired, had some interruptions in the AM but then had a good coffee. Zoned in and got to write. Had good tea and a healthy lunch. Worked out. Rating: 8/10
- Day 9 Sleep time: 6h 24m Asleep: 12:31am Awake: 6:55am Food: Oatmeal Almonds Stuffed pork chops Chick peas Corn Apple Broccoli Seed crackers Coffee Summary: Finished a blog post. Didn't get to do enough work. Played basketball. Felt tired at night. Rating: 7/10
- Day 10 Sleep time: 6h 24m Asleep: 12:31am Awake: 6:55am Food: Oatmeal Almonds Chick peas Corn Protein bar Apple peanut butter Crackers and hummus Seaweed salad Pickles Vinegar cole slaw Summary: Wish could have got more done. Happy about the press we got. Brain felt tired. It might have been the naming exercise for the company. Happy we got some food for the office so we don't have go out and get food all the time. Rating: 7/10