Numina - "Masks for the Elemental Powers" 2014
All materials on our website are shared by users. If you have any questions about copyright issues, please report us to resolve them. We are always happy to assist you.
- Numina: "An indwelling intelligence or power felt in a particular place, or in the whole world...... The origins of the Roman gods may be the sense of numinous presences underlying all the processes of the natural world."
- Making a mask can be a way to find a face for what is sensed, elemental, invisible, and sacredâ¦..
- Creating Story and Ritual is giving them a voice
- In traditional cultures masks are power objects, tools for the Gods to be embodied. To bless, speak, even prophecy.
- Wearing a Sacred Mask is invocation, and requires psychic preparation. Care is taken to devoke as well.
- "When you create within a sacred paradigm you find you are communicating with what is within you - but also has a greater source somewhere else. You collaborate with something timeless.â Elizabeth Fuller, Actress, Playright THE INDEPENDENT EYE
- Each time a mask is worn by a new person a new dance is discoveredâ¦..by a community, a new story is told.
- âGenus Lociâ â âSpirit of Placeâ: What Faces do they wear? What might they say?
- âThe Pollinatorsâ Transformation
- Corn Mother Sustainer of the Americas
- THE GREEN MAN
- VOLCANO Giving birth to new lands
- Flowering â âFloraâ
- The Weaver
- âOur Lady of the Watersâ The Desert Spring
- Holy Wells The Lady of Avalon
- RAINBOW For The Global Tribe
- The TRICKSTER Chaos and Order
- Spider Woman Weaver of the Web of Interdependency
- MOTHER EARTH
- With special thanks to Ann Waters, Mana Youngbear, and the Community of Willits for stills from âThe Awakeningâ and to J.J. Idarius for the use of her photographs.
- All masks are by Lauren Raine MFA. www.laurenraine.com All images and photos are copyright Lauren Raine and J.J. Idarius (2014)